So, I’m feeling really good about where I’m at with current training. To be honest, I thought it would be a LOT harder for me to get back into running shape after such a long layoff. But it seems that my legs and cardio have quickly remembered what it was like to do regular runs throughout the week.
Yesterday, I put in a solid 3 mile run at about a 10 minute pace. I consider that a big win. Also, I practically ran a 5K and have 2 weeks left until the race. So, knock-on-wood, I’m in a good place. However, I repeatedly tell myself not to push too much as not to re-injure myself and to build strength back in my ankle.
I’m down an additional 2 pounds this week so I’m sitting right around 204 lbs. My goal is 200 by race day.
Lots of activity on the homestead this week. We moved our 6 new chicks from the brooder out to the transitional chicken tractor before they make the final move to the big coop with the rest of the flock. We do this intermediate stage to help them grow to full size before putting them in with the other birds.
Utilizing the tractor also allows us to get them physically side-by-side with the larger flock (the last week before integration we’ll push the tractor right up to the chicken run where the other hens run around), yet maintain a barrier to prevent the larger hens from pecking on them while still young.
They will still have to go through the process of learning their place in the pecking order once they move in with the older hens, but we’ve found in the past that this process makes their integration into the larger flock very easy and almost without incident.
As I mentioned in a previous post, we’re starting harvesting from our fall garden. With almost 8 gallons of beans harvested, we started the process of snapping and canning everything.
The first day took three rounds of canning and we still have one more round to go.
When everything was finished we ended up with 24 quarts of canned beans.
Row covers have worked well when the temps have dipped into the mid-to-lower 30’s at night. I expect we’ll probably get another harvest this weekend and estimate around 2-4 more gallons. So, if my math is working today, that put us somewhere around 40+ quarts (maybe over 50) when done.
We’ll end up sharing some with neighbors and friends, but that should definitely be enough to last us through the winter.